As you know Florida is popular for its sunny weather and beautiful beaches; but with that sunny weather and oceans air comes high temps and humidity during the summer months. As we begin to see average daily temps stay above 80 degrees your home’s A/C system will start to work overtime keeping things cool for the next 4-5 months. Despite the challenging weather conditions, Florida is still a wonderful place to live and with the right precautions and preparations, you can stay comfortable during even the hottest days.
As we enter the warmer months we want to remind you of the importance of properly using and maintaining your air conditioner to ensure that it operates efficiently and effectively. With the right usage, your air conditioner can keep your home comfortable and cool without overexerting the unit, which can lead to higher energy bills and potentially costly repairs.
Here are some tips to help you use your AC unit in the most efficient way possible:
1. Set the thermostat to the right temperature: Setting your thermostat to a temperature that is lower than what you actually need will not cool your space any faster. It will only overwork your air conditioner and waste energy. We recommend setting your thermostat between 72 and 78 degrees Fahrenheit to balance comfort and energy savings. As heat indexes approach 100+ degrees even new a/c systems will struggle to cool below 78 degrees in the middle of the day.
2. Keep the unit clean: Replace the air filter in your AC unit regularly, as a dirty filter can restrict airflow and reduce the unit's efficiency. Also, keep the exterior of the unit clean and clear of any debris or obstructions like leaves, plants, or personal belongings. Make sure you are cleaning the condensation drain line monthly with a vinegar/water solution.
3. Keep Air moving: Make sure that furniture, curtains, or other objects do not block the airflow from the vents and keep bedroom doors open or cracked. This will help your AC unit distribute cool air more effectively and efficiently.
4. Use fans to help circulate cool air: Using ceiling fans or portable fans in conjunction with your AC unit can help circulate cool air throughout the space more effectively, allowing you to set your thermostat a few degrees higher without sacrificing comfort. Ceiling fans can help rooms feel several degrees cooler.
5. Close Blinds and Curtains: When the sun is shining, it's important to keep your blinds and curtains closed during the day. This will help to prevent the sun from heating up your apartment and keep the temperature down. You can open them up again in the evening when the sun goes down.
By following these tips, you can help ensure that your air conditioner operates efficiently and effectively, providing you with the comfort you need while also reducing energy costs. In general, air conditioners are capable of dropping the temperature inside a home by 20 to 25 degrees below the outdoor temperature. As is common in our area, temps and heat indexes can exceed 100-110 degrees during the day which means it may not be feasible to cool the interior of the home below 80 degrees. On these days it’s important to use the tips above to help keep the house comfortable
As always, if you have any questions please feel free to email us at email@example.com and enjoy your weekend!
Thank you for your attention and cooperation.